...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Phượng Again



This is Phượng. She is our friend. She is our neighbor and our landlady's daughter. Her daughter Jenny has been alive in Vietnam about one week longer than us. It's an easy way to keep up with her age.
She is definitely one of my favorite people here. She lives on the 14th floor and we live on the 10th. She admitted to me the other day that when she gets in the elevator, she always presses 10 and 14, just out of habit now. She just peeks out to see if we're home (door is usually open, shoes outside) and then goes up to her apartment.
She randomly comes and visits. Her visits are always unexpected, quick, and so great. When I see Jenny, I always ask her if she missed me, and Phượng will reply for Jenny, "No." But I hadn't seen them in a few days last week and Phượng sent me a text saying that Jenny was waiting on my question, and she is going to say yes!


Oh, and Laura! Phượng was going through some of my stuff and she found a letter from you in my Biblia. She read it and had me explain some of the words and some of the references (hammocks in our dorm room, farmers' muffins, our last house, marvelous times...). So I told her all about everything (ok, not everything. that would take years), and she loved it all. I went to work with her yesterday and she told me that she was thinking about me and you and it made her "smile so much!" And she's been trying to mouth words to me for days...

4 comments:

Laura Joy said...

Oh man! That's awesome and so sweet!

That little one is SO cute. Snuggle her up for me!

Deanna said...

Jenny is A-DORABLE.

Anonymous said...

Jenny is SO cute.

I love how the pictures make her look like she's a bald baby with spiky hair on the back half of her head!

I miss you buddy.

Carolyn said...

She is totally a bald baby with spiky hair on the back half of her head.
And don't worry, i told her about you too Erin! And when we're looking at pictures and I point out you or Laura or Helen or Katie, she just waves me off and says, "i know!"