...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Don't forget that I said I loved it here!

I hope I haven't scared everyone. I didn't mean to sound too despairing, but we just seem to have found a very frustrating cycle that we can't seem to break. And I thought it was time to let everyone know. A plea, really.

But actually the past month has been fantastic (You would know that if I ever sent out newsletters on time..)! I am really enjoying teaching and look forward to it every day! I've had some long conversations in Vietnamese (with many many motions, a dictionary, and pen and paper) that make me feel so accomplished!

I haven't made too many new friends recently, but I have been able to get to know the friends I have more and more. Wow, I have been so fortunate with the friends I have. They are all so laid back and funny and generous (I seem to attract those kinds of friends wherever I go!)!

Tú was my teachers' aid a few times in September and October. She's great. She works and she is a student so it is hard for us to get together, but we exchange text messages. On April Fools' Day, I sent her a message telling her that I hated her and my hair is on fire.

She responded telling me that she doesn't like my ugly blonde hair anyway and she hates me more (I promise we're really friends). Then she laughed and said, "ah, but carolyn, i will stop working at VATC because my study is very hard. My health is not enough for me to continue (CLASSIC Vietnamese excuse). But don't worry I will usually contact with you. Sorry, don't angry me! I will miss you."

I said,"ok, stop. Are you serious?" And she led me on for a long time before texting me, "today i win 100 percent hahaha :P."

She's just great. This video is from tonight when I brought some apple pie for her to try. She hated the smell and hated the taste even more. I'm narrating that she's eating the apple pie, and she's just mumbling to herself, saying "trời ơi," which most people translate as "oh my god," but I just looked it up and my dictionary says-blast! I like that.

2 comments:

MC and Brian Phillips said...

oh carolyn! I LOVE this video! I love your narration and I feel the same way...how can apple pie be THAT bad?! But I love how she makes herself try more. I wish I could send you a video of Harper puking on me just then...you might have laughed. I love you and miss you when I read your blog. Coming home this year?

Helen said...

HA! That is so funny! one of the top videos for sure.