...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mekong Delta

I just love all of your comments! And I am so thankful that I am going to continue blogging. At least for today.

A few weeks ago, Steph and Brittany came down south from Biên Hoà (which is actually also in the south of Vietnam) and we went on a tour of the Mekong Delta. It was kind of expensive, but we are rarely tourists and it came with good recommendations.



We hated it. Honestly, we were the worst tourist ever, and maybe this would be a fun tour for someone who doesn't live here, but... We just felt insulted at every turn, bored, and each activity was described longer than it actually lasted.


Here is one of the many boat rides. It was pretty, but... I don't know, maybe it was the combination of the four of us, that mob mentality... We're such snobs. It felt like they moved us from boat to boat to sell us different things. We just all have too much pride to be talked down to all day long.

They told us that we were going to a "bee farm", then they walked us to a box and let us hold up these drunk bees. Then they made us drink tea with honey in it, and tried to sell us bottles of honey.
We watched people making coconut candy for 5 minutes, then they tried to sell us coconut candy and handicrafts for 20 minutes. Then back on the boat. Here is Brittany having a better attitude than me.
They translated words that we knew and told us interesting things that I think are lies-- such as the water is clean. They fed us a glorified meal that we eat every day on the street (except way more expensive here) and charged us extra for a drink. Then it was warm coconuts on the boat.
They brought these people over to sing for us while they introduced us to all the "interesting local fruit:" bananas, mango, and pineapple. These people did not look happy at all about singing to us. I hear myself! It's terrible. I complain too much. We did have a good time together, but we were mostly laughing at ourselves and our situation.
I think they were trying to show the beauty of Vietnam to foreigners. But in the process, they stripped it of everything that we have come to love. We don't like being hassled to buy at every turn, or have people serve us with contempt. We love these people because of how caring and gernerous they are. How personal. How honest. How they treat everyone like family. And instead, they put on a show for us. And it was a disappointment.

I did, however, have a snake thrust around my neck. And that was kind of exciting.

I don't know if this video will play, but our guide was a tad annoying. I hate to say that. I'm sure other groups love her, but we tried to talk with her and explain that we live here, and she just continued with her scripted jokes and songs.
Now, I know that when you see this video, you'll take her side. She's likable, she really is! But, she never quit. Please understand where i'm coming from. I sing childrens' songs until I can't do it anymore. I didn't think it was funny or cute that she kept singing them to us. She got 'If you're happy and you know it' in my head for hours!


4 comments:

Deanna said...

Your honesty is very refreshing.

Mom said...

I am glad we did not do this trip with you!!Besides the touristy things....I don't want a snake around my neck! :)

momma c said...

Well written- I could feel it. Love the video,continuous peace sign and all!

Anonymous said...

The peace sign singing lady and your grumbling about the trip made my night. :)
xx-E