...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Monday, April 12, 2010

Chúc Mừng Ngày Lẽ Phục Sinh (Happy Easter)

You might be wondering what has happened to Oanh lately. Well she's fine. We were meeting every day for a while, but she's a lot of enthusiasm for every day, so maybe a couple times a week. A few times she brought her friend Thắm. I like her a lot. She speaks slowly and clearly and she's just a lot of fun. She also has a really wonderful smile. I knew Oanh and Thắm were coming over, so I went and bought some duck and chicken eggs (I got both because I didn't know which was better...?). Erica and I looked for food coloring last week without success, but we didn't need it because we had stickers, markers, and glitter. After decorating, we poked holes in the eggs and blew out the yolk, a practice I had a small obsession with as a kid (you can ask my mom).And I took pictures and tried to capture everyone at their best.


I've had French toast every day since we did this. And Dawn brought us some Maple syrup, so, fantastic.
Earrings
Notice the mole with a hair on it that Thắm drew on the face. I thought that was great.

I set the timer and we all took a picture. Both doors were open, so that is my explanation for my super wind-blown look I've got going on. I didn't even notice Thắm's shirt coming up a little until she looked at the picture and said, "Oh! So sexy!"

We enjoyed an Easter brunch at our fellowship and pigged out in celebration. It didn't feel like Easter. Can I say that? I was on yahoo and one fo my friends here sent me a message over chat (yahoo chat is the cool thing in Vietnam, everyone who's anyone...). He wanted an explanation of the name Easter. Phục Sinh means 'to revive, to resusitate (ressurect, perhaps?).'

So, I told the Easter story to someone who had never heard it before. I've never done that before. That was cool. His last reaction was, "he alive? thats wonderful!"

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Easter = former pagan holiday name. In Hungary, the word for Easter is the compound words of 'without meat'. I like Vietnam's version the best.

Mom said...

Ohhhh.... I had bought a package to send you to die eggs...still sitting near the phone... I will have to say that your new niece kept us on the road for a while!(but we both know I procrastinate...)
Looks like you had great fun, though. How long has it been since we blew out eggs?!! So neat to be able to tell the Easter story!