...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Vũng Tàu #2

It was a four day weekend for us as we celebrated April 30th (35th anniversary of the Americans leaving Vietnam) and May 1st (Labor Day). It was a weekend of FIRSTS, and not just for me!

*First time at Vũng Tàu Beach for Erica and myself, but I guess that one's a given...

*Jenny's first family trip to the beach. She has been alive one week longer than we have been in Vietnam. Boy, she was popular. And so darn cute.


* My first time eating dog. I had soup with bamboo and dog meat. Don't judge me. This dog did not have an owner or a name, and it was mean to small helpless animals, and barked all night long outside your window. And it was tasty.

*Our first time watching a fight in 'Nam (somebody got ripped off at the beach), sucking a snail right out of the shell, attending a Death Anniversary Party, sitting on a bed while a 91 year old woman sits on the floor.

* Phượng's first sleepover with us. woot woot. I showed her what a pillow fight is, and it was very one-sided

*My first time being stung by a jellyfish. It was totally as painful and everyone made it sound. In the South China sea too... does that make it a vietnamese jellyfish, or a chinese one... I guess they're international..
*Chị Hồng's first time at the beach, or seeing the sea. Ever. She didn't know how to swim, and didn't know to jump when the waves were coming. I got to hold her hand for a while and watch her choke and spit and laugh like a child. It was awesome!





*Oh, and I forgot to mention, my first time swimming at the beach in jeans. People just go in their clothes. And it was great! I couldn't swim very fast, and when I lost in a race, i tried to explain that my jeans were a heavy, loose, parachute, but they didn't understand. I need to improve my vocabulary.

*Also, my first time being cold in Vietnam. Riding on the back of a motorbike in soaking wet clothes.

*Our first time running out of gas on a motorbike. Well maybe not Phượng's, but mine. Her cousin-in-law brought the smallest gas can in the world to help her make it to the pump. Motorbikes rock.
*And last of all, my favorite. We rode three on a motorbike frequently (totally against the law, BAs), but one night (for my first time), we got four. AND I was comfortable. We didn't get a picture of that, but it will forever be burned in my memory.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

This post is fantastic. But it's not the first one I've read on this blog that has been.

Andrea said...

Sounds like you guys had an amazing trip to the beach. It is hard to believe that someone can grow-up in Vietnam and never see the sea!