...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hột Vịt Lộn

Our landlady's birthday was on Cindo de Mayo. They prepared a big meal that I didn't know about, invited me, and then rushed to have the dinner during the hour that I had before class.

We all sat on the floor and ate clams, oysters, grilled shrimp, and hotpot (soup, which is still cooking on a gas stove in front of you). It was all delicious. I could hear them all talking about whether or not I can eat these fertilized duck eggs. I just smiled.

During the course of the meal, it came up again. And I just decided that these questions are always going to come up until I have an answer. So I picked up the egg and cracked it on the floor (it's a duck egg that was boiled just shortly before it might have hatched). Phượng handed me a spoon and said, "Don't thinking, just eating."


It really wasn't half bad! It really is the looks that get you, because you can see the beginnings of the baby feathers (I hope I don't lose readers from this post). You can dip it in a salt, pepper, and lime mixture, and you would never know what you're eating.
Very intense picture. Everyone watching me eat was a little uncomfortable, but it would have been worse if it had made me sick.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I guess we could have tried that with hen eggs....nah! So proud of how you try all the different foods!!

Deanna said...

Ew. I'll try almost anything once, though.

Carolyn said...

no, they aren't rotten like that Mom. They don't smell like that, and it mostly just tasted like a boiled egg

MC and Brian Phillips said...

oh golly, I'm so proud of you!...look how long your hair is!