...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, May 25, 2011

English Club

Our school has been trying to start an English club for the entire 2 years that I've been here. Actually they used to try to force us to go to it, and they held it 45 minutes away on Sunday mornings. Good luck trying to get me to go to that.

But 3 students stepped up, and one of the new foreigner teachers was asked to help with it, and one of the staff members stepped up to head it up (Ha, she's the shortest one in the picture)(Ha is her name, I wasn't laughing).


They had students in groups playing games and they really went all out to make it happen. I was actually pretty impressed.




These are some boys from one of my favorite classes. Lot of characters in here.








That girl looks like she's flipping the camera off, but I don't think she is. For the record though, I didn't take this picture, so if she is upset, it isn't at me (I would bet money that it's the peace sign actually).








The foreigner, Justin, from California, had a birthday coming up, so they brought out a cake and sparklers and sung to him.




I don't want to pick on Justin too badly on my blog, in case someone out there knows him, but I hate that he's in charge of the speaking club. He doesn't seem to care about the Vietnamese people, but he does talk about his female students, or girls that he's met. He talks a lot about a lot of things, and I feel like he gives Americans a bad reputation. I'm frustrated to be leaving the school with him taking over my classes.




It was actually a really cool birthday party. I almost had a twinge of regret for never telling them when my birthday was. Almost.





I don't mean to brag, but the 3 students who were in charge were all former students of mine. I showed up to English Club late because I was testing for the first hour, but when I arrived, they made me judge a contest of listening and identifying sounds.




That's Lei talking to me. I had him in level 2 and 3, but he never belonged there. He finally tested out of it and is in level 6 now. His English is quite impressive and he'll joke with me and say, "Whatever," and walk off.




This is Kevin. Or Khánh, is his real name. You might remember him from the pictures of Halloween. I actually had him in level one and he would shake his head a lot and say he didn't understand, almost every 5 minutes of class. His English has improved SO MUCH! I love talking to him and seeing how well he is doing in his classes now.




He put cake icing on my face and then brought me a tissue to clean it up.




This is Vivian. She lives on my street I believe and she's the only student that I've ever had who calls me, "Miss." And she usually yells it. I've been riding my bike on my street and heard it yelled a couple of times.
















No comments: