...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Saturday, December 4, 2010

The cycle

Let me describe the cycle to you:

First, a xe om (motorbike taxi) driver drives up next to me and offers me a ride. I politely decline. But he doesn't go away. He puts his feet down (literally) and coasts next to me as I walk, asking where I want to go. I decline again; this time with a little more gusto. He continues, mixing in some sweet Vietnaminglish that I don't understand. Finally, I stop acknowledging that he exists and I carry on with my life, a little more annoyed with xe om drivers.

So, again I'm walking on the street and I hear a loud, "hey!" Wow. They don't give up, do they? I don't even look up, I just shake my hand to express 'NO,' and unconsciously roll my eyes. I ignore the second "hey!" and pretend to be fascinated with the opposite side of the street. Of course, in a few seconds I'll discover that it's one of my students trying to introduce their parents to their sweet American teacher.

Embarrassed, and hoping to not disrespect any more parents, I am now much more on guard to be friendly to the next person who wants my attention. I hear, "Hello!" and I turn with an overly friendly smile, as if to say, "I knew you were there and I'm happy to see you and all of your extended family members." And I'm met with a skeezy half-grin and a wink from a security guard, reclined in a beach chair. His buddies laugh, nudging him at the overwhelming--and rather undeserved-- response from the foreigner. I can only grimace and shake my head as they wave me over. Note to self: Don't be an idiot.

So, no more smiles whilst IN the turn. Maybe I should look at them with no expression first, and then decide if a smile is warrented. Maybe I shouldn't be turning at all.

Walking down the street from my school one day, I hear some calls from a coffee shop. Common. Make a choice. I choose to ignore. A whistle confirms my decision and I continue. Then I hear what sounds like, "Ina!" And who was it that I blatantly ignoring? My administrator.

Excellent. This is beginning to become kind of an issue in my mind. And the cycle continues.

All this to say: I'm saving my money and considering buying a motorbike-- and not just so I won't have to make eye contact with people anymore.

1 comment:

Janell Wright said...

It's because you're a superstar in District 6!! Will you sign my arm???