...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Friday, December 11, 2009

My friend Yem

This is Chi (prefix for older female) Yem (sounds like eeem). I love her. She and her parents have a juice shop on our walk home from school. She speaks very little English, but for some reason we communicate with each other very well. I love her voice and I think she's so beautiful.



I've talked about Yem and her parents before and they are so generous with us. They will just sit and talk with us, though usually they bring out some fruit or some ice tea. This particular night, she brought out what i think is sweet coconut milk with soybeans and raisins in it. I think she was explaining to me that it would good to eat before bed, but if I eat too much, i will be very fat.



I didn't know how to ask them to say hello to the people who read my blog, so I asked her to say hello to my mom and dad. I think she got stage fright because she's speaking a mixture of Vietnamese and the few English words that she knows.

1 comment:

The Rodriguez's said...

I think I love Yem too. What a great smile she has!

Tell us more about the Vietnamese wedding!