...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Kitty Mickey Class (that's really what it's called)

I took pictures of all of the students in my new youngest class. I only see them on Saturdays so I have a hard time remembering their names. Erica and I often talk about with frustration how our students are programmed to listen to a CD. They don't readily listen to my voice, but I press 'play,' and I have all of their attention immediately. It drives me crazy (This class is no exception).

Students in Vietnam are also programmed to be tested. Were we tested when we were little?? I don't remember that! But my students bring me their work, and I originally thought it was just to show me, but they were expecting me to grade it. It's simple sentances and a drawing. I give everyone a 10 (highest grade) and a check and a smiley face. I mean, I had no idea how to grade, but they're five and six years old! The goal is for them to learn English right? Who cares about the grades (not a sentiment shared by many)?

I really do like this class more and more each week. After the first class, I actually counted how many more days I would have them. Last week I read a book to them, and they (who were paying attention) were riveted. For not understanding what the story was about, they were surprisingly glued. I even stood up and jumped for emphasis and they all yelled at me to sit down because they couldn't see (I translated that myself). They still hand feed me (from their germy hands) candy and chips they want to share, and giggle and hug me whenever they see me.








No comments: