...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas part 2

On Christmas Eve, Brittany and Steph rode four hours on a bus for just a couple of hours in Ho Chi Minh City. We walked around, saw the decorations, and exchanged gifts in a coffee shop in District one, called "Angel-In-Us" coffee. I thought it was a bit ironic considering the season. And considering the fact that the only way I'll ever have an angel inside of me is if I eat one.


And next up (actually these pictures are out of order), I was asked (we were kind of given the ultimatum that it was going to be one of the two of us) to be Mrs. Claus in our school's program for the younger students.
I had seen Santa outfits for sale on the street, and they were usually paired with a really skanky outfit for a girl, so I was VERY nervous that they wanted me to wear one of those. I expressed my concern about not being able to fit in it, and I think they ran out and foudn the largest one they could get. Here I am with the only other American teacher, Phillip, from Indiana.

Some of my students also took part in the program by singing Jingle Bells, We Wish you a Merry Christmas, and Joy to the World. That's right. They sang "Joy to the Word." I'm sure they had no idea what the words meant, but they sang it. Basically. And very loudly, over some of the loudest music I've ever heard.
It was kind of unbelievable. I don't know if I can really describe it. My job was to hand out presents and I read one of the letters that someone wrote in the Letter to Santa contest. It was fantastic. If I can get a copy of it, I'll put it on here. I just smiled a lot, and sweated imensely.

They also had a couple of fashion shows in the program. Erica fimed this on the projected screen outside. Some of my Kitty students were in it. I can't get them to stand up and sit down, so I am amazed that someone choreographed with them.


1 comment:

The Rodriguez's said...

they are SO cute! love the very stern and convincing adults on the side for the child to go forward!