...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Monday, October 26, 2009

The Palmers in Vietnam

Erica's parents arrived in Vietnam on Thursday of last week. It was fun showing them around the distric that I have become so proud of. I wanted them to see how wonderful the people really are, and as usual, the people obliged.


We took them to several places that we frequent and rode a bus to a local market. We also took them to have fruit juice at the shop with the young woman and her father, who speaks a little English. We introduced Erica's parents and the woman brought out a plate of fruit for us (it was some kind of white melon, but more chewy than juicy, not very good, but a very nice gesture). Then the man came out, producing a small box of candy, motioning for me to take it and put it in my bag. "Souvinir!" He announced proudly.

I keep being blown away by the generoity of the people here. I'm self-conscious that we are being offensive because we don't invite people over or invite people to have coffee with us. I hope we aren't offending anyone. I really like that no one comes to our apartment so it can be an escape for us, but we shall see how long it lasts.




We also took them out for sugar cane juice. We only buy it from this woman. Erica has been adament about our loyalty to her, and I am glad. It just seemed like betrayal to have sugar can juice in our hands when we walk by her (her stand is about 20 yards from our apartment).

Erica and her parents went to Danang for a long weekend. I am staying here by myself and the familiar faces I pass on the street seem genuinely concerned about Erica and why she isn't with me. Maybe they think we are fighting.
Please don't be concerned. I feel very safe in our neighborhood and even riding the bus across the city to fellowship yesterday. And anyone who knows me well probably knows how much I am enjoying a few days of alone time. Erica and I are getting along fine and I don't want to be here alone for very long, but sometimes time alone can be so refreshing. In reality, Erica is probably benefitting more from having a vacation from me.

So anyway, Erica has her camera this weekend. You thought it was mine didn't you? Nope, I just treat it like it's mine. I still don't have a camera, but I've been looking around. Here is a video from last week. We went in a shop to buy new notebooks and this woman just walked up to us in the shop and started talking and laughing. She patted us roughly on the arms and laughed and had the most beautiful smile. As soon as I started filming, she stopped speaking and laughing as much. I didn't understand anything she said, but her laugh and smile required a video.



3 comments:

Andrea said...

You should get someone to interpret what she said. ;)

Carolyn said...

nah, i'd rather not know. in case it's something bad. I prefer to think that she is telling us how much she loves having us in her country

kfolds85 said...

just found your blog. glad I can keep up with you and your adventures! it was wonderful to hear your laugh on the video. :) miss you.