...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Our Apartment

I told you that our landlady and her daughters came to get us and take us to a different apartment. It was nice. Actually, it was IDENTICAL to our current apartment except for the headboards on the beds and the view from the windows. Ok... that's not entirely true. That apartment seemed to have just been finished with a little work left to do.

Erica and I talked about it. I kind of wanted to move because of a leaky toilet and a leaky air conditioner, but kind of didn't want to move because I HATE moving. We're comfortable here and we like our neighbors. Moving, besides being a hassle, would be kind of a gamble. The new apartment is on the 10th floor of the "E" building and we don't know the new neighbors. There could be lots of young people to talk with and become our new best friends. Or the new apartment could be the haven for all of the screaming babies in the city. We just don't know.

So, we're talking about it, thinking, and I'm pretty sure that we probably won't move because neither of us felt very strongly about it. Then I received the following text:

"Hi Carolyn and Erica, my mom love both you. therefore, my mom want to change new department for both you. there, you feel comfotable and fresh air so much. furrniture sufficient. :) sorry for troublesome some you."

Then a moment later:

"If you want some one help you. my mom and some young man help you both everywhere. dont worry..goodnight..:)"

Our landlady and her daughter seemed pretty adament that we should move to this newer and better apartment and we really couldn't think of a reason to protest. They also seemd to say that whenever we were ready, we could move at our convenience. The next day I had four missed calls on my cell phone. Ok, I was actually holding my phone when it rang, but sometimes I do that (in my defense, I didn't recognize the number).

It turns out that our school had been trying to get in touch with us so we could move ASAP! It was our day off, so we started packing. We have acquired books and some household items (water filter, electric kettle, towels, etc), but overall we don't have an abundance of things so it wasn't the normal misery that I expect from moving. Our landlady's daughter came over and got us started moving out. We got the suitcases to the elevator, and the landlady called. Her daughter translated, "Ok, so you move in three days."

2 comments:

Andrea said...

UGH!!! In situations like this you just have to choose to laugh or you will pull your hair out otherwise.

Ina Nelson Jones said...

Your Dad and I were able to access the internet together for a change!! Love hearing your stories!