...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Happy Buy Myself Flowers Day to you all!

I have a couple of things to announce on this holiday. First, please look closely at this next photo. This is the left side of my face. Good, very observant. Now, look even closer (get out the magnifying glass maybe) and you'll see that I have a CURL in my hair. It just happened on it's own! The humidity maybe!


And this is just a random picture that I haven't posted yet. She's crossing the street. Cute lady.

Next here is our lunch from today. I don't know why I have a thing with taking pictures of food, but I just think they're beautiful. All of our meals are served with some kind of soup, and ice tea. There is also a bowl of something called 'fish sauce' that if they don't serve, we will ask for it. It's spicy and flavorful. And a plate of rice, and a plate of whatever fish we asked for. Today I had shrimp. I just feel bad for their dishwasher.

My second announcement is that we finally received our paychecks! We didn't realize that we had to take out two months rent this month to cover September and October, so it's not the celebration that we anticipated. And also, it was accompanied by our power being shut off again. It was turned back on later when we got it sorted out, but I am really starting to get annoyed at the process. A man comes to the door and rings the doorbell, then he shoves a slip under the door that says that your power is turned off, and before I can lean down and pick up the slip, the switch is flipped and the light goes off. You might be under the impression that things don't happen quickly in this country, and maybe that's true. But NOT for electricity.
Anyway, we are on a budget this month. I mean, literally I am writing this in the dark. It's not because of the amount of support that has come in, because friends, you have blessed me. It's just the timing of bills and it still being the beginning of everything. We're bringing tupperware with us everywhere so we can save food for later.
However, I wanted to keep 'Buy Myself Flowers Day' alive, so I decided to make the sacrifice. One rose was 4,000vnd (maybe 25 cents). But clearly the name of the day indicates more than one flower (it's not 'buy myself A flower day'), so I splurged for two.


And here is my roommate Erica.

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Your insistence on following the letter of the flower holiday law is truly inspiring. Never let anyone limit you to just one flower. You're an inspiration.

momma c said...

I love the lady crossing the street with the cart. I just noticed everyone wears helmets, too. For some reason that surprises me. Do they have a helmet law or are they logical about head safety? Did they wear helmets in Taiwan? Were there as many motorbikes there? How often does the flower holiday come? On 72nd Street, it seems to come about once a month or so...

Carolyn said...

Helmet law. But only on a motorbike. NO ONE wears one on a bicycle. I think they wore them in Taiwan, but they all have scooters and mopeds there, not as many motorbikes, so obviously they didn't look nearly as cool. They were everywhere in Taiwan too, though people followed the traffic laws, so it didn't seem as chaotic.

The holiday is the 7th of every month, so this is only the 2nd one. I just had to do it, or I was afraid the holiday would fall by the wayside. We don't have any living flowers like you guys though. O man, they just put orchids hanging all over the front of our apartment!