...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Sunday, October 11, 2009

Does Rus even read my blog??

I teach eight different classes, all different levels and a variety of ages. I really couldn't tell you which age and level is really my favorite. I teach a level 6 (though I have NOT figured out what the levels really mean) class of 16-24 year olds on Tuesday and Saturday nights. They are really smart and a lot of fun.



Before coming to Vietnam, we listened to stories from other teachers, and one thing I honed in on and got especially excited about was naming my students. Each student gets an "American" nickname, and some of the past teachers let the students choose their own, so they had students named Harry Potter, Dragon, Obama. But when we began teaching here, we found out that all of our students already had names. It dirves us crazy because most classes repeat the same list of names: John, Tom, Anna, Mary, Peter, Lisa... on and on. It's hard to remember seven Toms!! And Erica has a class with a Peter 1 and Peter 2.


There are a few breaks from the monotony though. I have a Remus, Yang, Bean, two Miley Cyrus's, Mushroom, Tito, and a Mr. Happy. Whenever I say their names with a straight face, I wish there was a video camera to capture how smoothly I just did that.


I have one student in this level six class who is very enthusiastic. He's 16 and a bit of a flirt. On my first day teaching his class, he came up to me during the break and said that he would like to change his name, and wanted to know my favorite name. I assurred him that I don't have a favorite name. I didn't want to encourage him, but I was secretly thrilled about the opportunity to name him. I started listing off names of some men that I know. He nodded after each one, wanting to hear them all before committing to one (though he kept insisting to hear my FAVORITE). When I mentioned the name Ralph, he actually laughed out loud and said, "No please not that one!" I don't know why. He did finally decide on one though.


Meet Russell:


6 comments:

momma c said...

I like the new header picture, the first thing I saw was the bit of blue sky and that made me smile. Are these pictures that you have taken? Who lives in apartments like these? Is your building like this? We have been having some pretty chilly weather here, cold and wet- enjoy your warm wet weather! Funny names, do you laugh while calling on Brad Pitt? (Is there one?) Now to keep a straight face while calling on Russell.

Unknown said...

My feelings are totally hurt.

Andrea said...

No Obamas this year? Miley Cyrus has replaced Obama?

Carolyn said...

No Obama's, though Erica had a Heinekin, Brrrr, and Zzzz. And I have a Pooh.

I wish I had a Brad Pitt or a Batman or George Bush, or whatever. I want to change all of their names. Sometimes they announce that they want to change their name and I get excited. Then they change to another name on the list. Way to think outside of the box.

Dad, is that really you? I didn't know you knew how to comment! Now you need to teach Mom again

Unknown said...

Hey that was not dad, I use an account called dfi.equipment from the shop and it shows up as Ralph. Sorry.

Carolyn said...

yeah... i didn't think Dad used the word totally...