...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Sunday, October 4, 2009

Finishing Up September

Yesterday was the end of the mid-Autumn Festival. I barely knew that it was here. Now it's over.


Sometime last month, we went to a fair across from our school. It was really crowded and we felt like people stared at us more than usual. I thought that we should have just set up our own booth and charged money for all of the stares. Here we are with these pancake on a stick things, they smelled like heaven, but were almost completely tasteless. I don't know how that works.


At one point, a man came up to me and held out his child to me, saying something that sounded like "hold." I wondered what the odds were that this man knew English and only wanted to tell me to hold his child. I didn't know what to do, so I reached out my arms to the child. He didn't hand her over, so I just stood there with my arms halfway out. He kept sayign the word, until a woman walked up and took the child away from the man.


Later, I looked up the word kiss, and it is hôn in Vietnamese. He wanted me to kiss his child.


I think these candies were dates covered in sugar and something that made them incredibly sour. I ate a whole cupful and the next day I couldn't taste anything. Just thinking about the sour taste makes my mouth cringe and kind of water. You know what I'm talking about, like if you know you're about to eat something sour? I just asked Erica and she has no idea what I'm talking about, so maybe it's just me...


Happy Birthday Dad and Leith! Even though today it is October 5th here...


1 comment:

Laura Joy said...

Haha! Like when I think about eating a sour gumball or sour gummy worms, my mouth automatically cringes up and waters too. So no, it isn't just you! :)