...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Something Cool

With no credit to me or to my organization, some cool things happened about a week ago.

Friends of mine, who were in Vietnam for reasons I cannot discuss, have been a great source of encouragement to me. Actually, I met them here last year because someone knew someone who roomed with my uncle in college and got my Vietnamese cell phone number from someone else and called me. They met up with me and encouraged me here. Then they brought me into their summer program and encouraged me during the summer, letting me lead small groups and share about what's happening in Vietnam.

This year, we met up and hung out and had lunch. They were busy with their own things, but had some free time and some books that they bought to share here. One of the books is called, "The Road to Success." It's fantastic. It's in English and Vietnamese (a great study tool) and it's all about how to be successful, which is a great hook here, because that's what everyone wants.
The beginning is about teamwork, direction, purpose. Recognizing influential people, writing a resume, choosing a goal. Then it gets into ethics, responsibility, and finally the pathway to truth: the good news. Without reading very much of it, I think it's kind of genius.
So, my friends had a bunch of these books and a free night. It happened to be Women's Day (March 8th), so I took my students out to a coffee shop to celebrate and to practice speaking with foreigners. My friends, 2 guys and 2 girls, met up with us there. They were so great, and talked with my students about anything they could. They handed out a few books at the end to students who were interested.I brought my first class and required that all the students come and talk. They are only level 3, but they are the highest level 3 I've ever taught. We went over questions that they could ask the foreigners. A couple of the boys joked that they wanted to go home, but EVERYONE remained way past the time that I required.We just all talked and drank coffee and fruit juice for a while. Finally time ran out and I had to leave to get my 2nd shift class. I ran out to go meet my next class, only a level 2 (but all 18 or over). They all came and all talked and we had a great time. A couple of boys in each class ran across the street and bought flowers for all of the girls for Women's Day.This is Sunny, 18, one of my best students. She was in the first class, but stayed next to me all night. We had a great time. She hates this picture.We both had a coconut sinh tố (smoothie), so delicious. And they bring out the coconut milk in an extra glass. That's the first time I've seen them do that at a coffee shop. Classy. And of course the straws make a heart...
My friends were great and they talked slowly for my students to understand. I KNOW my students enjoyed practicing English with foreigners. It was really a great time had by all.


Afterwards, my friends said they had a great time and gave me some extra copies of the books. They also gave me some NT's too.So, unexpected and undeserved, but much needed encouragement arrived and I didn't even have to lift a finger. I am so thankful for these people and the work that they do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!! So glad that worked out!!

Mom said...

I did not man for that to be anonymous!!!

Mom said...

Maybe I should proofread........... :)

Sam said...

Reading this entry was such an encouragement to me!!! Having those unexpected visitors can renew and refresh you--and its my hope that it did just that. I'm thankful that the literature made it to you and some of your students. Who knows how dad will use that in the future?!