...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Friday, March 11, 2011

cough again

So not only did I wake up, but I still had a cough.

I've had some testing today and I went to my aerobics class for the first time in a long time and barely made it through. I made some no bake cookies for a friend of mine who I like to talk with-- she always brings me Vietnamese goodies. There's a bonus promotion on my particular sim card brand where I get 100% free of what I purchase. I bought 400,000 minutes. 800,000 should definitely last me 3 more months.

In the cell phone store, I recognized some men in the back drinking beer. One man drinks tea outside my apartment every night, one is a motorbike taxi driver, the third owns the cell phone business, and the other man just looked familiar. They offered me a beer when they saw me. I declined, and they went around shaking my hand (I've found that a lot of Vietnamese men like to shake my hand when they're drunk).

One man was trying to tell me something while I bought the minutes on my phone. I didn't understand, but by the time I finished, I understood that he was going to buy my minutes for me. Oh! Thank you! Next time.

That same man was very offended that I didn't remember his name. We argued for a little while about why I forgot his name, which always makes me feel good to be able to argue in Vietnamese. They shoved a beer into my hands for the 2nd time, I took a sip and one man motioned that I was supposed to drink it all. I apologized and told him I can only drink a little. Oh, a small drinker? he said. They laughed. I shook everyone's hands again. They tried to get me to sit and eat some chicken.

I tried to make my exit again and someone brought up my occupation. She's a teacher. English. They all went around saying what they could say in English. How are you? Shook my hand again. I finally made my way out.

Earlier, while i was testing, I looked down and was alarmed to see what I thought was a zit on my chest. I inspected further and realized that my entire chest was covered in little bumps. I ran to the bathroom and wondered why it wasn't on my face or arms; my stomach and back were covered too! I don't know the rules on blog ettiquette, but here's a picture of my back (is that ok?).

They're just tiny little bumps, hard to see. I almost didn't put the picture on here because I didn't think it will elicit the sympathy I'm after.



I showed by friend and she didn't seem alarmed. She just nodded and said it was because of the heat. Um...... no, I don't think so. Today's not the first time I've been hot.

It doesn't itch really, and it's starting to work it's way to my arms. Needless to say, I won't be finishing the reccommended dose of medicine.

p.s. lot of people affected by the earthquake and tsunami, but news is saying that Vietnam won't be.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Yuck on the cough and the rash. :( I am sorry that you have to deal with this. I am lifting up that the Father heals you (with out the involvement of the hospital). Psalm 73:26

Sam said...

Hey Carolyn, could you get a better picture of the rash? also, I don't have your email, but mine is carroll.samantha@gmail.com I am happy to consult with some internal medicine friends of mine. I have a few assesment questions, but I'll leave that to the emailing (if you're interested, of course)

Mom said...

It does look sort of like a heat rash from what I can see on your right shoulder. I'm glad Sam can check with some internists. I may ask around here, also. Did you not think those "pills" were helping at all? I'll email....

Carolyn said...

it so does not look like a heat rash, dangit, i knew I shouldn't have put up a picture!