...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A friend of mine

I looked up "friend," in an online dictionary and I promise you, one of the definitions is, "v. to add (someone) as a friend on a social networking website." I know it makes sense that someone might look that up, but I still think that's ridiculous.

And apparently the other definitions don't make it difficult to label someone a friend. An aquaintance. Someone you trust. Someone with whom one knows. Really?

Well please allow me to tell you about one of my friends here, who has been so much more than a "friend." She has been an invaluable ally here in Vietnam. My tour guide. My supportive sister. A listening ear, a wise advisor. She's just so good at loving people. I honestly don't know if we would have survived here without her these 2 years-- and I'm not just talking about her having an oven and letting me use it...

So anyway, Janell is leaving for a couple of months and then coming back to work in Vietnam for a little longer. I was not a very supportive friend because it would have been much more convenient if she were in North Carolina a while longer. She's so adventurous. There's her blog-----> on the right there (Another stamp in the passport). Check it out.

She'll be back, but it will be right before I leave to go home. I am really going to miss her. She has a higher paying job than me, can do anything, and lives such an exciting life, that I've never felt like there was anything I could do for her. No way for me to ever repay her for everything (i mean this literally too, gosh she's paid for so many meals and taxi rides). So, I'm going to use the only means at my disposal to tell you about Janell: my blog :)

Here's Janell:

(u.s. citizen)

She was our first non-Vietnamese friend in Vietnam. She remembered our names. She remembered my birthday (though we only barely knew her). She told her roommate and Aletta picked up a piece of cake for me.She was friends with the team who was here in HCMC before us, and she sought Erica and I out to be our friends. And she made a point to seek us out again this year and meet Jenni. She goes out of her way to let us know that she wants us to succeed. Everyone needs a Janell in their life.

Janell, this picture was a sacrifice. I am only putting it on here because you look so good in it. And look at your hair! Wow!We went to the tax center one day and they were having some kind of convention in the lobby. The only words I could understand were, "áo tráng," (white shirt). And it was true. Everyone was wearing a white shirt, except Janell and myself... and apparently that lady in the plaid back there.Here is a vegetarian lasagna that Janell made. Hands down, best vegetarian lasagna I've ever had. Maybe the best lasagna. I'm not just saying it.Fun fact: Janell's a twin. So is my roommate Jenni by the way. A lot of my favorite people are twins. I should have known immediately that we would be friends (but she didn't preface with, 'hi, i'm a twin,')(Actually, she just said, 'Hi, I'm Janell and we're going to be friends!').

Janell and I have been hanging out on Monday nights at her apartment to eat dinner and watch "So You Think You Can Dance." So fun. I'm very upset that I must watch the rest of the episodes without her.

Thank you Janell for being such a friend to me over here.
I know you will be so blessed for the way you love people.

3 comments:

Janell Wright said...

Miss you already!! Thanks so much for the shout out-- and where did you get some of those pictures?? Haha

mom said...

wish we could have met her in Thailand!

Sam said...

I'm pretty much blog-stalking your friend Janell right now! thanks for sharing