...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Monday, November 1, 2010

Some culture shock

So I've been having more challenges with the culture this year. From feeling used, to being let down by their propensity to say yes to everything, all of the negative aspects of this culture have been throwing themselves at me for approximately the last 76 days (and counting). In fact, there's actually a group of guys who park motorbikes who think it is hilarious to sneak up on me when I walk home from class alone, hit my bag and scream. I don't ever have time to react, but they get a good laugh anyway.

I've gotten ripped off a few good times, and frustrated with people who tell me that I can't do something because I am a foreigner and, "it is too difficult," for me (Seriously, ask my mom how much I like being told that). I don't like people laughing at my Vietnamese, and I don't want to help every student on the bus who wants to practice English with a foreigner and therefore wants to be my friend.

Last year these things were funny. This year, they are annoying. I guess this is that dip that Dr. Kreitzer was talking about on his culture shock graph. Burning insense in bulk is UNNECESSARY and probably unhealthy. I was chastized for almost taking a picture in a hospital because someone might have bad luck. Everyone has advice about my health, my lifestyle, even the way I cook my own food, and smiling and nodding is growing tiresome.

I know what you're thinking. These are all great opportunities-- and I see that. My attitude is actually getting much better than it has been (I am so grateful for your pr@yers). In fact, that's why I'm sharing a couple of moments when I needed a reminder of why I loved it here:

One very rainy day, I was seeing the Bien Hoa girls at Jenni off at the bus stop. I was going to have a weekend of alone time. Though when they left, i was uncertain of what I wanted to do since it was dar, still pouring, and I didn't have my poncho with me (a sure sign that it's going to rain). So I just sat, texted a little, and watched the traffic and the rain.

A girl came up and I heard her ask a man in Vietnamese if bus #14 came by there. He didn't know. I told her that it did. She looked at me with skepticism, and I rolled my eyes because I expected that response. I had only been sitting there for an hour and seen the bus pass over and over, why believe the foreigner?!

She seemed curious and came over and spoke to me in English, asking me what i was doing. I said I was waiting because I didn't have a poncho. She took her poncho off and rung out her jacket, saying that she was already wet so I could have it. I refused it politely and she offered it again. So I took it (though I debated telling her that I didn't want that poncho because obviously it didn't work). And I remembered why I love the Vietnamese.

That was a while ago. Last week Jenni announced that we should have a Halloween party. I mentioned it to my upper level classes when we talked about Halloween and gave them our address. I also mentioned how much I wanted to carve a pumpkin. One of my former students (who I actually never invited) texted me and told me that he and some other students would come at 3 to help prepare. I said, "Maybe we will not be at home yet. Maybe 5:00 is better." He agreed. No problems.

So, when Jenni and I returned to our apartment a little before 3, they were waiting outside. Oh excellent, I thought. Typical. They would show up 3 hours early, when we don't even know what we're doing.

They opened their bag to reveal a pumpkin that they had bought for me! and and food and drinks to share with us. We carved the pumpkins and they made a few decorations and offered to take us to the grocery store for anything we needed. My former student smiled as we carved them and said he was so excited, "This is the best Halloween party I ever go to." And I remembered why I love the Vietnamese.

(it was also the ONLY Halloween party he had ever been to, but a compliment is a compliment)
*more Halloween blogs to follow. **Early students pictured below.



2 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm so glad you are finding the good moments and the reason you love the people there even with the different cultures..I can truly understand the lack of internet because that is the link home...Hope you have a great week. Also loved the picture of the children in the previous blog.

Mom said...

I don't like to think of your walk home having guys try to scare you...but I love that you are seeing the positives in the negative........