...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, November 3, 2010

a few good quotes

There comes a time, when you've lived in a particular place, when you begin to understand them. It's true. I didn't realize that I had reached this stage until Jenni came and I had to translate English words to her.

We just begin to hear the mistakes that they make, and know what they mean. I actually think that it is a hindrance to my students' education because I can understand them when otherwise they shouldn't be understood. It does sometimes help with communication in the classroom though, because I don't have to ask "what?" 400 times.
I have a new great level 6 class on Wednesdays now, and I have a couple of funny kids in my teenager class tonight. They say some FUNNY things. But I can't laugh in their faces, so I'll do it discreetly on here:
"Teacher, the girl that lives in the water and has the tail, what do you call her?"
-Zin, (22)trying to find the word for mermaid
"I'm not a mermaid."
-Walcott (14), when i asked him if he liked to swim
"It's so clean you could sell it."
-Cat (20), when I asked her if she had been doing her workbook
"Teacher, I don't want to be an astronaut, but I want to walk on the moon like Michael Jackson."
-Ricken (16)
"I am good at making love."
-Remus,(13) though this actually was more of a pronuniciation issue. He was trying to say that he's good at making other people laugh. And he was more right than he knew.
My old level 6 class played the game Things, with the topic-- "things you should never do in the shower." Here were some of the answers:
  • dance
  • open the door and take a photograph
  • not let the water touch your body
  • put the soap in your mouth
  • read the newspaper
  • iron clothes
  • driving
  • saw a bomb (Billy knows the definition of "saw" and "bomb" but I don't know why he said this)
  • wear headphones
  • wear glasses
  • play computer games
  • eat rice
  • use mobile phone
  • wear clothes
  • court a young girl
  • jump through a fire circle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, Reading your blog has made my day! It brought laughter, tears, and fond memories of our few short weeks in VN. You are appreciated, loved, and lifted up!!! Kathy

Helen said...

I love it when you write down what funny things they say on your blog. I can just see your face as you hear them say it! HAHA!