...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Thursday, September 9, 2010


You're right, you're right. I promised more blogs, so here's one.


I never formally explained the presence of this new addition to the pictures on here. So, this new girl is my new roommate. This is Jenni. She's 23 and from Iowa and has a positive attitude about everything (so far, that's a little annoying), and almost always happy. My Vietnamese friends have noticed that she says thank you and sorry A LOT. She's a recent college grad, a morning person, definitely an extrovert, and a really good friend. Also, she reads my blog, Hi Jenni!


We kind of met first over facebook and then at training in California. One weekend we traveled to Chinatown, Hollywood, and Union Station and had to take pictures in each location. These are those pictures (check out my Vietnamese vest that Phượng gave me).


We've laughed because she is kind of like a 12-year old, and I'm kind of like a 60-year old. She likes to play games, eat candy and mess with things that she's really not supposed to (stay tuned for the day that I write about how much she is like Russell). I like to sit quietly and knit with plenty of light. She is easily distracted by shiny things and has an endless supply of energy. I like to go to bed on time and make sure to eat my fiber. Perhaps we'll balance each other out this year.



Jenni is perfect for HCMC because she has so much energy and wants to get involved with everything. She has been really patient as I spell her name wrong repeatedly, and with me since about my fourth day at training when I started to feel not-so-great. She has jumped right in and wanted to do everything and try everything. I'm glad she's here.

We brought a team of EIGHTEEN this year (not pictured: Dawn and Erica)! I'll have to tell you about them more later, but as far as I know, they all seem really cool. SO there are 10 up around Dà Nẵng and 6 in Biên Hoa. Aaaaaand 2 in HCMC. We're going to need some letters this year.


Ina Carolyn Jones/Jenni Hufford c/0 VATC

123-125-127 Binh Phu Street

Ward 11 District 6

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam


A great team, and great to have a large team, but the support that I hoped for this year has fallen through. We're still working on what we can do to arrange support for ourselves here. But it can get pretty lonely, even in a city of 12 million people.


If you get a moment, please think of us, that we'll:


  • Find more support, discipleship, something close by

  • Find ways to get more involved in the community-- Jenni's hunting an orphanage that will let her help; I'd like to find friends to teach me how to cook Vietnamese food

  • Be good roommates to each other, building each other up, loving even when we're tired of each other, angry, grumpy

  • Vietnamese friends who are believers. And I don't mean someone who keeps statues of Mary on their altar

  • Have better health

  • Get more phone calls from females than males this year

Thanks for reading






1 comment:

MC said...

Thanks for introducing Jenni! I'll be thinking about y'all and writing more...and you'll have to teach me some Vietnamese cooking when you return. Stay well! I love you!