...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome back

Most of Team Vietnam arrived in Ho Chi Minh City on August 18th. Jenni and I were met by three members from our office, Tú, Linh, and Hồng, and two good friends:Phượng and Oanh. Walking outside I remembered, 'It is SO DANG HOT HERE,' and then I was met by people who were happy to see me (Oanh even cried!). So unexpected and great!

They took us around and out to eat seafood and drink tea (which would have been grand if it weren't after midnight and we had been traveling for days..), and finally to our apartment. Phượng and Oanh were awake waiting on us and Oanh was so happy and excited that she had us all sleep in one bed. My sheets and pillows were packed at a friend's house and the A.C. wasn't working. Quite the warm welcome back to Vietnam.

We were here one full day before we got in a car and rode to Vũng Tàu (actually Long Diền) beach with Phượng and her family. It was a lot like our last trip with so many relatives around, death anniversaries, SO MUCH EATING, trips to the beach, riding with too many people on a motorbike, slumber party on the floor, and lots of pictures. It really was a great time.

Jenni and Phượng hit it off right away. I found that immediately I was glad she was there. All of a sudden, I wasn't the center of attention anymore--I had been there before--Old news.

Everyone tried to make her say Vietnamese words and laugh when she repeated what she was told. Food was heaped onto her plate, as people watched to see her try a new food. Her chopstick skills were critiqued everyone wanted to know all of the new details about her. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

We had a blast at the beach. These pictures are all from our second day. More will come.
They reheated the hotpot from lunch for our dinner. So, noodles with soup, with various meats and vegetables. See the way she is sitting? All Vietnamese can do that. I think on my list of 'goals' for this year, I'd like to be able to sit like that for more than one minute without tipping over or my feet falling asleep.
Phượng, her baby Jenny, and her husband Tuấn.


Phượng is definitely one of my closest friends here. We communicated a little over the summer and she hounded me for new pictures of my niece and seasons 1-4 of Prison Break (which I did not come through with). She's great. She's honest and very perceptive, good at organizing time for us to be together. I missed her.



5 comments:

Andrea said...

Sounds like you are doing a good job of wearing out Jenni in the first week. :) Great pictures.

Janell Wright said...

Love it so much and can't wait to see you.

MC and Brian Phillips said...

oh man. Everything sounds great. I'm so excited to be reading about your adventures again...but I miss you.

katieduke said...

you know, i am currently practicing the squatting way of sitting as well. it's supposed to help with labor...if you get it down now, you'll be a pro :)

Mom said...

Life must seem back to "normal" after your whirlwind visit to the states and 'home'. Tell Oahn hello...how wonderful you had friends to meet you and greet you when you got back to HCMC....