...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Summary of Visit

There were an unbelievable amount of flowers for sale in the center of the city before the official beginning of the New Year festivities.
So, we took pictures.

A motorbike carrying bread leaned over a little too far. My mother adjusted well to Vietnamese culture and watched it play out, taking this picture.We went to the zoo in HCMC. It's just like other zooz I guess. Maybe smaller cages though because I got to see the tigers, lions, and bears in a zoo for the first time.These girls wanted their picture taken with the birds. And then with me. I was ready to run after them stealing my camera, because why would they want a picture with me, with MY camera?? One girl took out a phone and got a picture too though. And they didn't steal my camera...One day, we took the over-night sleeper bus to Nha Trang, a beach about eight hours north. It was really beautiful.We rented bikes and rode around.Then Mom's chain fell off and we stopped to get it fixed. He fized the chain, but it was too old, so he went to buy a new one. We were there for about an hour, and the boy charged me a little over $3.50. Then we went to eat. Please notice, "Fishes that threw off it's skin." We didn't eat it though. Maybe we should have...We took one of the world's longest cable cars over the ocean to VinPearl Water Park. We ate hotpot a couple of nights in a row. That is where they put the electric cooker on the table and bring out the raw meat and vegetable for you to cook in the broth at your own pace. I looked up for one picture and snap-crackle pop out of my finger. So, here, I'm just holding the noodles.Took another bus to Dà Lạt, a city in the mountains. We didn't have much time here, but we took a car to a place to rent a jeep and driver, and he took us to the top.I've already complained enough about how much we got ripped off on that trip, so I won't say any more about it. But here I am forking out more money.But it really was beautiful at the top.We came back to HCMC just in time for the New Years Eve Celebrations. We got to eat the traditional Tết meal with one of my friends and then another friend brought gifts over for me and my mom. Later, we went to the roof for the fireworks. One of my friends, Trinh, was up there and we took a lot of pictures, but this one has both of us, AND sort of a firework, so the only successful picture...

2 comments:

MC and Brian Phillips said...

You guys went to some GORGEOUS places! What a wonderful visit!!

Andrea said...

Glad you got to travel around! Your story of the girls at the zoo is so typical! I was at the Grand Canyon this weekend and these Korean guys asked to get their picture with us. Typical. :)