...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Saturday, February 20, 2010

2010 Year of the Tiger

(Tigers at the zoo)
(You can't tell, but we're all trying to look like togers while in front of the tiger display)

(Another one of hundreds of Tiger Displays that I've seen in the last few weeks)

*Disclaimer* I have done zero research about the Tết Holiday. Whatever information I have has come from what I have been told and what I have seen. I apologize for any errors.
We have met people who are not supersticious and we have met people who are. Sometimes, even if someone doesn't believe in them, they still participate in certain activities because of tradition or culture or their public image.


The New Year seems to be a very supersticious time. People clean their houses, get haircuts and buy new clothes. It is said that the way the New year begins is the way the entire year will play out. I heard that when you visit someone on the New Year, some believe that it will determine the happiness and wealth of the next year; so we didn't visit anyone on New Years Day.

2010 is the year of the Tiger (You are also a tiger if you were born in 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, and 1998).
According to the Chinese Zodiac----
TIGER: You are sensitive, emotional, and capable of (though often unlucky in)great love. However, you have a tendency to get carried away and be stubborn about what you think is right; often seen as a "Hothead" or rebel. Your sign shows you would be excellent as a boss, explorer, race car driver, or matador.

(note* Erica is a tiger)
This might sound like nothing and you can get a much more detailed horoscope, but for many people, this year brings many complications, hardships, and promise before it is even started. There is pressure on pregnant women to give birth in a good year, pressure on young people to marry someone in a compatible year. Again, I don't know how many people really subscribe to all of these beliefs.
Another part of the New Year that I loved was "lucky money." I still don't fully understand it. But as a tradition, adults, usually married, or those with good jobs, give little red envelopes to children, students, and young people. The giver gives a red envelope with money inside it and the receiver then wishes luck and health and wealth on the giver.
I have no idea if I did it right, but i got to give out about 10 or so. And it was fun because they were very surprised to be receiving one from me. I watched as people gave them to the younger security guards at our apartment, and to our neighbors' children. I received one from a friend when I went to her house. It really was fun to get one!
I would compare it to giving kids candy on Halloween. It's fun to give. Fun to get. And if you asked most kids why we do it, they might not know, but they still want it to continue.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I'm so glad you posted this. Recently, I've been pondering what I should do with my life, you know, find out "where the heck I'm going in life." Anywho, I was so happy after I read your post. I'm a tiger, too! Fortunately, I'm already over here in Europe, so finding employment as a matador shouldn't be too hard. Watch out Spain; here I come! Ole!

momma c said...

Interesting posts re: Tet. I was getting my nails done a few weeks back and the very Americanized young girl doing them was going to Vietnam to visit- I wonder if she timed it because of the new year. We talked about various things, I told her you were there(she said you were probably getting ripped off in all your dealings- I laughed. She said she doesn't speak much when they are getting things because of her accent they tend to rip her too, so she just lets her cousins do the dealing.) She tried to shock me by telling me they eat dog there, but I wasn't shocked because when we lived in Taiwan my dog George was taken and eaten- at least he disappeared around new year and that is what is assumed. Apparently dog brings you wealth, health and happiness when consumed, and here I thought they were just supposed to be your best friend.

momma c said...

Oh, I forgot my purpose in commenting the first time was to report that Lisa is a tiger! She often drives like a race car driver, can be bossy sometimes, has explored many places around the globe and shows steers with the skill of a matador. She is spot on!