...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Friday, September 25, 2009

Stardom within Reach

In Vietnam, there are no copyright laws. Some examples include our teachers' books, which are black and white copies from the printer all bound together with a little red plastic band. Also, we see Jennfer Aniston plastered on a wall on our way to school every day. And Kiera Knightley's picture graces the front of the hair salon across the street. I have wondered if these celebrities know how often their photos are reproduced when they don't receive compensation.

I used to wonder what it would be like to be famous. I feel like we have gotten a taste of that life here. People stare and point and wave. Others nudge those next to them and call the children to come out and see us. Some smile, some frown. We feel very scrutinized, people notice our habits and schedule, they want us to be seen eating at their resturants.

And NOW, we might get to experience that other part of being famous. I received an email and a text about coming to district one to take pictures. Our school, VATC, doesn't have a yearbook, but I didn't question it and we took a taxi to the school's headquarters. It turned out to be this intense photo shoot! Lights, cameras, and a notebook full of absurd poses to choose from.



(None of my actual students have laptops for the record) I was so embarassed doing what they told me to do, and there were people watching! It wasn't long before they realized how much more they liked taking pictures of Erica than of me. I think there might be a career change in her future.




Aside from that acting reality t.v. show Courtney Thurston, Andrew Roberts and I tried out for in 2004, this might be one of the more ridiculous things I've ever done. We are really hoping that our pictures get put up on a billboard somewhere. Fingers crossed.



For the record, the book I am holding here is called "Michigan Profeciency (does it teach people how to talk like Michiganders?)." And I would also like to add that we joked and laughed a lot, even though this picture makes it look very painful. It WAS painful at times, but i would have felt much more ridiculous if I wasn't laughing through all of this.

I was sooooooo thankful they had Erica do this pose instead of me.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh my. Cannot wait to see the billboards when I am there in November. :)