...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Saturday, August 22, 2009

We make babies cry

View from our 6th floor apartment during a rain storm.

Today is day four in Ho Chi Minh City and I have neglected this blog because I don’t have any pictures (and because I am a perfectionist when it comes to writing and if I’m not satisfied, then I start over). I have remedied one of those situations.



Erica and I have had coffee in Vietnam every day. It is served over ice and has varied in strength and price at each location. This morning, I think I could have poured the grinds in my mouth and swished them around and it might have tasted about the same. We really like going to the little shops to meet different people and to find that one special place so we can be “regulars.” We have frequented a street stand for dinner and now when we walk by, we recognize them and wave. They recognize us too, but that’s not too hard since we are the only blonde people that walk by. Many kids that see us, whisper to their friends and giggle. Some yell, “Hello!” Others stare, point, smile, offer us a ride on their motorbike, or try to sell us lottery tickets. We’re already used to the attention and sometimes we bask in it as young girls will tell us that we are beautiful. Of course, we keep our self-esteems in check by appearing around babies, who see us and immediately start to cry.



And they aren't crying because of our masks. Everyone wears them here. I can't decide if I think people wear them becausse of the pollution or because of illness. Our temperature is checked before we step foot into our school. If we or the kids have a fever, we can't go to school. Even the flight attendents on the way over were wearing them.



Our school is only a short walk from our apartment--which has also surpassed our expectations. Everything in it is brand new. Though one day we came in to find that our table had disappeared, and the following day a delivery man showed up with a new table and a bill for 1,500,000 vnd. After 20 minutes with the delivery man and a dictionary and Erica and I giving each other looks saying, "What?! Do we really have to pay??!" our landlord showed up to pay him. It turns out that everything in our apartment is borrowed and as we pay each month, she will buy her own stuff and slowly trade it out.


Al we have observed several classes so far and I think we start teaching on Wednesday of next week. The people at the school have been very helpful getting us settled, helping us buy minutes for our phone, etc. My favorite thing so far is riding motorbike taxis. They are indescribable. Our plan is to take a video of it one day, though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't capture it completely. Even now, i'm at a loss for words. It's so exciting.
Here is Erica today trying on helmets. Her head is small and the children's helmts fit her the best. I wanted her to buy this lady-bug helmet, but she didn't. She did get a pink panda bear helmet though and that was a close second place.
We are actually sitting in a cafe now that has free wifi and we are sipping on coconut milk with a straw after a day of exploring. Two fans are pointed straight at us and there is bamboo growing all around us. Want to come visit yet?











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good city photo. how much did it rain.

MARIA

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

Unknown said...

ok
. So I may not be ready to visit yet, but keep on with the good descriptions and you never know waht might happen!
Wendy

Unknown said...

So you don't know why you wear the masks? You look great...both of you! Can't wait to hear how school goes! I'm so proud....if this thing shows up in the window!!