...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I am sitting on the couch in Griffin, Georgia as I type this. I'll write more about that later...

Two days before flying out, we decided to have a night for students to come by our apartment and say good-bye. I wanted to see them all again, and we were ready for them to come, but I was in one of those moods where I kind of hoped all of them were busy and wouldn't come.

Fortunately they did come, and I got over it, and it was a LOT of fun. Some of my students from my level 8 class even skipped their class that night to come! Since I'm not their teacher anymore, I might have told them it was a good decision...

This is "Bell," when we were making pancakes. She made one in the shape of a panda. She is hilarious. Class clown, so quotable. One of my favorites.

Here are the 3 who skipped, "Mic" "Bell" and "CAT." A couple more called to say goodbye.
This is "Windy". She is from my level 3 class. So sweet and beautiful.




"Raymond," "Jennifer," and "Ricky." Ricky reminds me a lot of Russell, maybe from around middle school. They have the same darting eyes and quiet funny personality.




Jennifer is shorter than she looks. She talks SO MUCH in class. But we still like each other, which is good.



"Sunny" showed up from my former level 3. We met to hang out the other day and have coffee. She is a lot of fun and very honest. I think we'll keep in touch for a long time. (Her idea on the pose. Not mine) Some more of my level 3 class eating my golden graham bars, which were a total fail, but they liked anyway. They kept trying to ask the name of them, since most things like that in Vietnamese have a very literal name: sandwhich= bánh mì (bread), sandwich with egg= bánh mì trương (bread egg), my favorite soup with lettuce, meats, unidentified other things, noodles, and a crispy fried biscuit with shrimp in it= mì nước lèo (noodle soup)


Anyway, they liked the golden graham stuff.





They brought a cake. "Miss you so much. Good luck."

I'm so glad they came and said good-bye. I'm going to miss this class a lot. They had been asking to hear me speak Vietnamese for a long time and I would refuse to ever speak in class. I gave them a little bit.


We played B.S. together. I called it, "Liar" and we said it in Vietnamese too. It took a solid 10 minutes to give directions, start playing, realize that no one really understood, try again, someone doesn't understand, repeat, got it. And it was worth it. When they finally got it, they were great at it.




I think I will miss my students the most out of everything in Vietnam.

No comments: