...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sad Goodbye





I met Phượng around September of 2009. She is my landlady's daughter and we met the night I ran back from class to give her our rent money. She had just had a baby and I quoted her on here about how she said she was so fat, and when I said, well you're smaller than me, she replied, "Of course! You are American. It's normal for you."



She has been one of my closest friends since then. We've had our ups and downs, misunderstandings, all of that. But I think we're closer for it.


She's one of the most perceptive people I've ever known. We're both sentimental and keep special things. And despite only living 3 floors apart, we write each other notes and postcards to stay in touch often. She's very special to me.




I met her for lunch the day before I flew out. We saw each other a little after this, but this was our last meal together. we used to have lunch together every couple of weeks: crab soup, but we haven't been able to do it so much this year with her changing jobs and going to night school, and me doing various things. This was a special last time together.




We are Bún Bò Huế (noodle soup with beef) and snails, and different congealed rice things wrapped in banana leaves. An excellent meal.




I gave her the childrens' book that Francois and I bought her and her daughter in March and a small hair pin. She gave me some pearls a few nights before that she bought for me to wear in my wedding. She said she saw them and she knew they were fit for me.




Out of every Vietnamese person, even Selena, I will miss Phượng the most.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn! Excited you are back!!!!!!!!!! And dying to see you anyway to hang out before your big day? I want to hear more details! Miss you and love you! Katie