...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Friday, April 15, 2011

Coconut lady and Selena's Message

This woman is a good friend of ours. She has a little stand where she sells noodles, cigarettes, coconuts, and a random assortment of other things (She's the one from whom I bought that lighter and she slapped me on my rear). Erica and I began calling her "coconut lady" last year because we have no idea what her name is. I suppose I could have just asked, but I didn't, and at this point in our relationship, I'm just too embarassed.

    She has sort of taken us under her wing and often gives us bags of fruit on the way home from school. Her sister-in-law has a rice stand and it's very cheap. It's the closest rice stand to our house, which is great! Except on those days where we don't want to eat there. Then we have to walk or ride our bikes past the stand, with 2 sisters and one sister-in-law inquiring as to where we're going and why don't we want to eat there.



      They used to serve just chicken and fish. So I told them that we couldn't eat there one day because I wanted pork. The next: they were serving pork. I really love this lady. I was riding my bike home on Wednesday after I got back and she was in the street. She saw me and let out a WHOOP and reached to slap my hand. I didn't stop, but I smiled for a long time after.


      Our communication is not that great. As a general rule, I have trouble understanding anyone in our neighborhood over the age of 50. Last night I stopped at her stand and told her that when I was at home, my boyfriend asked me to have a wedding. ('he asked me to marry him' has way too many pronouns and I actually don't even know the verb 'to marry') So in August, I will have a husband. She asked if we'll get married in Vietnam.


      Maybe not, I said.


      That was it. She gestured for me to be careful or someone would steal my ring. She laughed and made her usual smirk at me while muttering something incomprehensible to me. I smiled, pleased with her response, which was about what I expected from her. Coconut lady is happy for me!




      These are 2 of my former students: Gloria and Selena. I love them a lot. They love me too, in fact. Maybe a little over the top. Ok, who am i kidding... I love it...


      Selena has taken to calling me her 'darling.' She wanted to make this video for Francois before I went home to send him a message. Here's the script if you're having trouble understanding:


      " 1...2...3.. HELLO FRAN-SWAAA


      I like the necklace you gave Carolyn. --So do I!


      But be careful! She's my darling. Okay... Stay away from her.


      And I'm really jealous (as Gloria says 'Have a nice day') so, bye!"

      2 comments:

      Helen said...

      HA! I LOVE the video so much. Wren and I watched it 4 times. So funny.

      Helen said...

      make that 6 times.