...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Latest

I was trying to write my newsletter (which I honestly may never finish) the other day. I was sitting down at at a roadside stand having a cold drink. The old woman who gave me my drink came over to smile and pat my arms and roll her head back with laughter after comparing the color of my hands to her arms.

A man came over and handed me a piece of peanut brittle, nodding reasurringly, telling me it is delicious. He wasn't kidding. The old woman gave me her piece too, pointing to her teeth and shaking her head. A woman walked up carrying a pole over her shoulders with a basket of fruit on either end. A boy came over and bought two bags of cut fruit, and placed one in front of me, and a container of salt and chilies (in which to dip the fruit). I was told again, to eat.

I repeated my thanks, enthusiastically, trying to extinguish any other offers for food or drink. Leave me alone, you generous people! I need to write my newsletter! Another man came over to ask where I was from, and a glass of iced tea was placed in front of me. A woman came over to poorly translate all of the words that I already know. I think I will forever be more hesitant to translate for anyone, because sometimes I find it SO ANNOYING, and a hindrance to learning.

Soon, the old woman's daughter, who I smile and wave at every day, arrived on the back of a motorbike, carrying a bag of cut-up jack fruit. Again I am told to eat, and while I understand the word for 'eat', and what commonly is expected from food being shoved in my hands, everyone around still feels the need to motion for me to eat, exaggerated gestures. They also pointed out the thumb-sized seed, telling me not to eat it--as if I could if I wanted to.

A couple of people walk by. The people closest to me point at them and say something to me. Then they smile and wave to the people. I wrote it down and later translated it to mean something along the lines of, "Look! Chinese people."

So, all this being said, I have not written a newsletter, and I am having digestive issues, which may or may not be related to how often i just eat what I'm handed. My newsletter is hindered by the fact that my microsoft office trial has expired, and they must have learned to not allow any kind of downloads in this country, because I can't seem to download the real thing.

The digestive issues are not new, but are still a mystery. I was going to write a poem about how all I wanted for Christmas was a solid poop, but I didn't finish in time, and i definitely hope that we get this ordeal sorted out before next Christmas (therfore the title is no longer relevant).

If you do not wish to read about my bowels, turn back now. I am not in any pain, except from the occasional urgency. And the toilet paper usage per capita in our household has increased exponentially, which is annoying. I have had three occurrences of blood in my stool, the third of which happened about 10 minutes ago. I generally feel sick after this happens, but it's probably just because it scares me a little.

I've been to the doctor a twice about it, and the last time he just said, "hmmm..." enough to get on my nerves while looking at the results of my blood test and stool sample. Then he suggested I get another colonoscopy, which I DO NOT ever want to do. What a pain in the rear. And that's not even a pun because I was unconscious for all of it last time, except the part of realization that the camera was indeed going UP, instead of going DOWN. But that's another story; I don't really know how that little misunderstanding happened...

Life here has been unreasonably good, and this small annoyance is just a good reminder of how good things have indeed been. I hope I don't sound too frustrated by the encounters with people because I LOVE them. I'd rather get interrupted continally every day and talk with people than be known for my perpetually punctual newsletters. I feel like I make new friends all of the time and the people are just so wonderful and nosy and generous. I love them!

Sorry for the gross blog. And it is indeed gross. I kind of thought if something medically happened to me overseas, it would be cool, and a lot more interesting. But it's really not either, and I can't help feeling a little disappointed. This is just what's going on with me right now. However, it has been a really convenient annoyance and usually affects me only in the morning and afternoon, never during classs. I'll be sure to announce if anyone ever figures out what's wrong with me.

3 comments:

The Rodriguez's said...

ohhhh your poor poor butt hole!
Will lift you up about solid and normal stool. Big Guy cares even about that.

Love your description of the people. WOW. That's pretty amazing.

xxE

Andrea said...

Sorry that you are still sick. I REALLY wish the doctor would be a whole lot more helpful and find a way to fix it. :( Glad to hear that you are still enjoying all the hospitality there.

Helen said...

yes. thanks for sharing. read it out loud to luke and we both had a good laugh as usual.