...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Sunday, January 17, 2010

Karaoke

You might not be able to hear in the video or understand what I'm saying, but I said, "It's just been one of those days, you know? Everybody wants to rip us off." It's a really dumb video, but I thought it was funny.

And it WAS one of "those days". We had an all day workshop, an hour bus ride away, on some of the new textbooks. I thought it would be helpful, but it wasn't very. The speaker asked for some of our challenges in the classroom and I answered that I have shy students who will refuse to speak outloud or participate in games. He suggested that I keep a more positive atmosphere in my classroom so that the students feel safe, and soon they will feel comfortable speaking. And I thought since I generally encourage all kinds of pointing and ridiculing in my class, that this was helpful advice (rolling my eyes).

We had a couple of frustrating encounters with people there, and I'm learning more and more that while we are told that these workshops are required, they're more like a convo credit at Montreat-- just get your name on the sign-in sheet. And again, we're faced with the question on whether we should fit in with everyone else, or try to stand out.

From there, we walked to the doctor's office to get my referral since we were in the area. The people in the reception area didn't understand the word "referral," (probably because I was pronouncing it correctly) and there was a lot of giggling and not a lot of assisting going on. I'm sure they were laughing at each other, but some days it feels like they're laughing at me, and my wounded pride sees nothing funny.

Next, I tried to buy cards. I almost always buy a couple every time I come here. The cards are set up on the wall and the tables line the sidewalk. I don't know all of the women there, but the price is always the same. I picked out a couple, money in hand, and the woman announced a new price that was TWICE what I've ever paid. My jaw dropped, and I just walked away, not even turning to look as she followed me, lowering the price a tiny bit.

Now, this was just one day in history. Usually I don't mind being laughed at, or yelled at, and being blatantly swindled keeps me on my toes. I suppose it's good to have days like this; they make the good days that much better. So let's change the subject to a good day, shall we?


Saturdays are jam-packed for me now. Jam-packed with goodness. They include some of my favorite classes, and getting to hang out with some of our friends from the office. This past Saturday, after a very busy day, some of my highest level students invited Erica and I out for karaoke. I have never been to karaoke in America, so I have nothing to compare it with except movies. Here, you go into your little private room and they bring you drinks and snacks, or a meal if you want. We all just sit on a couch and someone is singing. And it's not a joke. Erica and I were the only ones laughing.Above, Sella, on the left, is a current student, and her sister Til is a former student. Those aren't their real names, FYI. Below, Jacky and Tom are current students . They are pals, even though they're eight years apart (just try to guess). They are always getting in trouble for talking. I'm thinking of changing my teaching technique to only using a microphone and songs instead of any other lessons.They had an incredible selection of songs. We sang LOTS of Michael Jackson, some Abba, and a lot of songs where I only know the chorus. I sang along to one Vietnamese song and I might have gotten every single sound and tone wrong, if that is possible. It was actually very fun. That is a pretend microphone in my hand, below.

3 comments:

Laura Joy said...

What the?! You have NEVER been to a Karaoke in the good ole' USA? You have got to be kidding me. Who robbed you of your childhood or teenage hood? The last time I, that's right, I, the deaf girl who can't even hear her voice, sang at a Karaoke was at my bachorlette party to American Pie (surpirse, surprise). I still can't believe it.

Now that you have experinced the whole vitnemese karaoke thing, do you have any desire to try a american karaoke thing?

Deanna said...

Karaoke seems so fun! Is it like Rock Band but without the instruments? If I came to visit you, I would insist that we go. I heart singing.

MC and Brian Phillips said...

That looks like so much fun! Bring back this tradition and we can do it during future Thanksgivings! oooh. yeah.