...Because if you're not in Asia, you're in yesterday


Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Really long video

Erica and I frequently talk about how all of our books and CD's use British English and how it's confusing for our kids. Especially since there are only a few other foreign teachers besides us: one American and two New Zealanders. The rest of the Vietnamese teachers teach British English and don't say their R's. I've had to ask my students what some words are, and they love acting dumb when I tell them to put their "cell" phones away, instead of their "mobiles."

Queue up= line up. Car Park=Parking Lot. Dressing Gown= Bath robe? And the other teachers always ask us if our kids were naughty, or if we think something looks smart. I just wrinkle my nose at them.

I don't say "half-past four" when telling the time. Nor do I say, "a quarter of seven." And sometimes I "forget" to teach that to my students. They're probably all going to fail their tests.

Bah, and we work at VATC: Vietnam American Training Center.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

How about clever? Are your students clever? I've gotten asked that a few times. I want to reply, "No, I don't have a bunch of smart-alecks, but yes, my students are very intelligent."